Child Tax Credit 2019-2020
How the Child Tax Credit Works:The tax legislation passed in December 2017 doubled the Child Tax Credit to $2,000.00, starting with the 2018 tax year until the end of 2025.
To qualify for the Child Tax Credit, you must have a child or dependent who meets all of the following requirements:
- Age: The child must is under the age of 17 on December 31 of the tax year.
- Citizenship: The child must be a United States citizen, a United States national, or a resident alien.
- Dependent: The child must be claimed as a dependent on your income tax return.
- Relationship: The child must be related to you in one of the following ways: son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, grandchild, niece, or nephew. This includes any legally adopted child; the child has to be legally adopted.
- Residency: The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences for special circumstances are generally acceptable.
- Support: The child must NOT have provided more than half of his or her own financial support for the year.
Please visit for more information or contact us:
About Publication 972 | Internal Revenue Service